Re-Use of Public Sector Information
This page provides links to legislation regarding the EU Directive 2003/98/EC on the re-use of public sector information, its amendment EU Directive 2013/37/EC, its transposed Irish Statutory Instruments S.I. No. 279/2005, S.I No. 103/2008, and S.I. No. 525/2015, and related Circulars issued by the Department of Finance (Circular 32/05), and Department of Public Expenditure and Reform (Circular 16/15 and Circular 12/16).
Note. Circular 12/2016: Licence for Re-Use of Public Sector Information adopts CC-BY as the standard PSI licence, and notes that the open standard licence identified in this Circular supersedes PSI General Licence No: 2005/08/01.
See here for more information on the Open Data Licence.
In preparation of the review of the Re-Use of Public Service Information (PSI) Directive, the European Commission launched a public online consultation to seek views on how to improve accessibility and re-use of public and publicly funded data, and also considers access to and use of privately held data of public interest. Closing date expired on 12 December, 2017. Full details are available here.
Following the consultation process and the review, the European Commission adopted a proposal on 25 April 2018 for a revision of the Directive on the re-use of Public Sector Information . The proposal aims to overcome the barriers, identified in an impact assessment, that are seen as preventing the full re-use of public sector information. Amongst other things, the proposals include the inclusion of public utilities and research data under the remit of the Directive.
The text of the proposed directive can be found at https://eur-lex.europa.eu/resource.html?uri=cellar:4e790e4c-4969-11e8-be1d-01aa75ed71a1.0001.02/DOC_1&format=PDF
- Guide for Public Bodies on the Re-use of Public Sector Information Regulations
- PDFCircular 12/2016: Licence for Re-Use of Public Sector Information
- PDFCircular 16/15: Re-use of Public Sector Information- criteria for charging
- PDFCircular 32/05: Re-use of Public Sector Information (PSI)
- PDFEU Directive 2013/37/EC amending Directive 2003/98/EC on the re-use of public sector information
- PDFEU Directive 2003/98/EC on the re-use of public sector information
- PDFConsolidated text of Directive 2003/38/EC as amended by Directive 2013/37/EU (link is external)
- PDFStatutory Instrument No. 525/2015 - European Communities (Re-use of Public Sector Information) (Amendment) Regulations 2015
- PDFStatutory Instrument No. 103/2008 - European Communities (Re-Use of Public Sector Information) (Amendment) Regulations 2008
- PDFStatutory Instrument No. 279/2005 - European Communities (Re-Use of Public Sector Information) Regulations 2005
- Consolidated text of Statutory Instrument 279 of 2005 as amended by S.I. 103/2008 and S.I. 525/2015 – For Reference Purposes Only
- Ionstraim Reachtúil Uimh. 279 de 2005 - Rialacháin na gComhphobal Eorpach (Faisnéis Earnála Poiblí a Athúsáid) 2005