3-Star Data on data.gov.ie
The Open Data Strategy aims to create an environment where, by opening up Government data, new opportunities for research, innovation, transparency, engagement and greater efficiency are delivered and realised by public bodies, businesses, researchers and citizens. Therefore it is critical that high-quality datasets are published on data.gov.ie in an open, reusable way.
The Open Data Technical Framework provides guidance on the practical aspects of publishing Open Data, ensuring that publication of datasets on data.gov.ie is done in a consistent, persistent and truly open way. This includes specifying that:
- Data and metadata published on data.gov.ie must be associated with the Creative Commons Attribution (CC-BY) Licence, at a minimum.
- Data published on data.gov.ie must be machine-readable and in an open format (3-star Open Data), e.g. CSV, JSON or XML.
- Data published on data.gov.ie must be compliant with DCAT-AP, the international Open Data metadata standard.
- Data published on data.gov.ie should use national and international data-standards where possible,
- Data published on data.gov.ie should use Unique Resource Identifiers where possible.
The data.gov.ie API
Data.gov.ie is built using CKAN v2.2, which provides a powerful API that allows developers to retrieve datasets, groups or other CKAN objects and search for datasets. There is full documentation available for the CKAN API online.
Example API Calls
- Get JSON-formatted lists of a site’s datasets or other CKAN objects:
- Get a full JSON representation of a dataset, resource or other object:
- Search for packages or resources matching a query:
Data.gov.ie is intended to provide easy access to datasets that are free to use, reuse, and redistribute. If you would like to suggest a new dataset to publish, or if you have any comments on how to improve developer access to existing datasets, please visit the Suggest a Dataset page.